Wednesday 10 April 2013

Norfolk 5th to 8th April 2013

Superscout [13] and I [!] had a lovely time in Norfolk.

We stayed at Pontins Pakefield, at £9.50 per head, courtesy of The Sun.  However, there was an approx £45 supplement to pay on top of that.  From a frugal point of view, once cost of fuel, approx £60 [2 x 3.5 hours] is taken into account, I am not sure how economical it was. I know, for example, that Sarah across on Little family of 3, has gone on a similar break, but for £65.

I will be very interested to find out more details when she gets back, because next time I might be better off waiting for a late deal, closer to home.

That said, someone I work with says that once you have been on a Sun holiday, and are therefore in the system, you receive a priority booking code in the future; thus securing wider/better choice of parks.  I did want either Devon, Cornwall, Gloucestershire etc, but all where gone.  Hence Norfolk.

Anyway, to the break itself:

On the first day we drove to Toad Hole, a Victorian eel catchers cottage.  It was small, but interesting. [I have a degree in History and love all that stuff]


Whilst we we were there we walked along the banks of the Broad that runs adjacent to it.  It is a very beautiful and peaceful landscape.





On the way back, we had fish and chips in Great Yarmouth.  Both superscout and I  were not impressed with GY.

On the second day we went to Somerleyton Hall.  We spent several happy hours together looking around the gardens, where superscout took lots of photographs. [When she has edited them, I hope to post some]
We also treated ourselves to lunch in the cafe.  I had spinach and potato soup; delicious.



It was lovely to get away and to be with SS, she really is a wonderful child.  We had a laugh, seeing the accomodation for what it was....................I wanted to go to the Disco Bingo, but she is too well brought up and wouldn't allow it!!!!!!!! We ate well, because we took out slow cooker and had some nice treats.

We really are very lucky.

x












1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I have driven by this Pontlins.

    My parents have secured caravan breaks through the Sun but used them as a base to explore some of the most interesting parts of the area. So in that sense it's a nice little break away.

    I wonder if Sarah's deal would have been available if we hadn't had such rubbish weather. I was delighted for her and the kids when she blogged about it. I would be annoyed at those hidden charges too!

    You sound like you've done some excellent things however. What a beautiful stately home. Yes GY is now a dump, such a shame it's got like that.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete