Tuesday 23 April 2013

Oxtail Stew And No Spend Days

Tonight I have put an oxtail stew into my slow cooker.  I was going to follow the Hairy Bikers recipe, but did not have red wine.  So, instead have used Tesco Everyday Value mixed vegetables, frozen onion and frozen garlic, with a Tesco packet mix.

38p

Should do the job.  Have never used oxtail before.  Intrigued about how it will turn out.  Will post a picture of finished result.

Also used up some potatoes.  Have peeled them ready.  Will use my ricer to mash.  A very effective gadget.

Plus Monday and Tuesday have been NSDs - no spend days.

5 comments:

  1. I use oxtail all the time, but less and less often as it is getting expensive to buy. I make African Oxtail soup which is tomatoe based with spinach and oxtail, and added spice and cayene pepper ( i hate pepper so dont use it) It is a real comfort food for me which takes me back to my childhood. It is very tasty oxtail, and cooks down beautifully in the slow cooker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds totally delicious. I adore spinach. Would you be kind enough to share the recipe?
      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. It is a rough guide recipe, as it is one of those recipes passed down. I think i did write it down loosly just before my mum died, so will dig it out and post it, it really is tasty, and nice eaten with coarse semoline which is mixed to a stiff consistency and you use this to dip in the soup/stew (fufu) I am makign myself hungry. Think I will have to make it this weekend :))

      Delete
  2. ooh, just remembered i had this happen to me once before and I left it on over night, and it was tender in the morning, so maybe to cook the oxtail in the slow cooker over night

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have 'thought outside the box' to create your dinner.

    It's great for using up isn't it!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete