Sunday 12 May 2013

Food budget

First and foremost; a very warm welcome to Scarlett, my new follower. Wow - I now have the grand total of 6.  Sign up, if read but don't follow.  It is so exciting when I get a new follower.  I realy like knowing you are out there!


Before, I get started about my food budget, I will just let out a little frustration - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- for about 5 days now I have being trying to upload a photo.  It is just not happening - hence a lack of posts.

I made myself an ace spinach and chickpea curry, but I don't want to blog about it without a photo.

#frustration.

Moving on; I am pleased to say that I have significantly reduced my food/supermarket expenditure over the past month.  I have a budget of £70 for the three of us [2 adults; one almost adult; including a certain teenage  boy who tends to think it is not a proper meal unless containing meat.]

The last 3 weekly shops have cost: £35; £35 and £40.  The first 2 were reduced to that figure because I had £5 off when you spend £40 vouchers.

Notable successes: I used to buy 5 'eat me' bananas for £1.  Now buy 5 loose ones for about 60p.  I also used to buy 250g grated carrot for 50p/£2 per kg.  Now buy loose ones for 80p per kg.

Why did/do I buy grated carrot or grated cheese?  I have been using the grated carrot to make lentil burgers,  which create a very cheap meal.  So although within that , the carrot is not the cheapest, the eventual lentil burgers are a heck of a lot cheaper than my previous bad habit of nipping into the COOP on the way home, when tired, and blowing around £10 on ready meals - if you follow my logic.

I also buy frozen chopped onions, for £1.  They enable me to make quick meals from scratch.  It is all about being smart and saving money in ways that work for you.

2 comments:

  1. If you can don't buy the frozen of grated, do it yourself you an but a big bag if onions when on offer, chop them yourself and freeze in portion size bags. Also grated carrot is easy enough to do, and cheaper than buying it already done, plus the extra carrot you could Ning s few carrot cakes in the oven, slice into portions and freeze. A little but more labour but it only takes minutes to do, and fresh carrot grated tastes do much nicer than the packaged grated stuff.

    I have been having the problem with pics too, have been posting using the iPhone app lately as I cannot upload pics from my computer it takes hours to upload one pic of at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for reducing your bills, I'm trying to be organised and avoid the coop on the way home too

    ReplyDelete