Wednesday 1 May 2013

Driving Lessons - Not

First of all, a very warm welcome to my new follower: Lisamaywalters

Well, today I had a great day and came home feeling really good.

When I pulled up on the drive, my nice neighbour was in the front garden.  He is, I believe, a bit shy, and, I believe, does not find it that easy to make polite conversation with me.  Nevertheless, he did engage with me.

Last year, at about this time, I informed him and his wife that Aidan was going to be having a 16th birthday party in the garden.  I was pre-warning them, just in case of any potential noise.  They were lovely about it and, as it happened all went v well, as expected, and there was nothing to worry about.

This evening, the guy asked me if Aidan was looking forward to driving lessons, as he was going to be 17.

I am an honest person and said that we are not planning on driving lessons.  I think he felt awkward that he had raised the subject and I have pretended for a few hours that everything is OK.

However, everything is not OK.  I feel like a complete failure because I am not giving Aidan driving lessons.

I live in quite an affluent area.  The house we have is lovely, but quite modest relatively speaking.  The reason I strive to live here is for the school and sixth form attached.  Both my children are benefiting from a great education.  However, they are poor in comparison.

Aidan IS the only child not having driving lessons in his friendship group.  One of his friends, who is a lovely gir,l and who cannot be put into some stereotypical category of being an unpleasant girl by any means, not only has had driving lessons, but has also had a car bought for her - a brand new Mini.

This post is not about how I should feel, but how I do I feel.  When I had my wanted children, I wanted to give them at least what I had, perhaps a little bit more.  Reverse is the case.

I feel awful.

In so many ways I they are privileged, but still I feel I failure,
x



1 comment:

  1. You are not a failure and have nothing to feel awful about. aidan may not be having driving lessons yet, you mat never by him a car but he will see you doing your best for what he does have. When he does learn to drive/get a car he is more likely to take care and appreciate them because he has earned them for himself x

    ReplyDelete